How to grow tomatoes in a container???
Gardening Jul 30, 2020
Production and Cultivation of Tomato in Terrace garden.
1. Grow bags: (https://www.mydreamgarden.in/product.html?cat=145)
2. Magic Planter Planter boxes (https://www.mydreamgarden.in/product.html?cat=144)
4. Small drums
Media for Growing: Soil should be very porous, light in weight, More Nutritious and re-usable.
For Best quality Potting media visit https://www.mydreamgarden.in/product.html?cat=142
Sowing Method: 1. Seeds (2 seeds in each hole)
2. Saplings (Transplant at 3-4 leaf stage)
Sowing Depth: seeds – 2inch, Saplings – planted at 3- 4 inch depth.
Watering – Watering should be done daily based on the moisture content in the soil.
Weeding: Remove the unwanted plants in a container other than the TOMATO Plants.
Weeding is done at every 15 days once, when ever you observe weeds.
Staking: Staking is done to support the plant growth.
To provide to staking you need to have Bamboo sticks, Thread, Scissor etc.
De Suckering – Removal of water suckers.
- Vermicompost – For good vegetative growth and development of plant
- Sea weed extract – For good branches development
- Calcium Nitrate – To avoid Calcium Deficiency, should be applied at Pre-Flowering stage.
- Plant meal and Potassium – For good fruit size, taste and quality yield.
- Panchagavya – To increase flowering and resistance capacity of plants.
Commonly occurring pest and diseases in Tomato, when we grow in a container on terrace are as fallows.
- Fruit borer
- White flies
- Leaf miner
- Powdery mildew
- Accon plus – For pest as a preventive spray.
- Biofit – As a preventive spray for disease management.
- Cat Pillar IMMB – To avoid Caterpillars, Fruit and Shoot borer.
- Sap suck Mast – For sucking pest like Aphids, White flies, Mealy bugs etc.
- Xylozeb – To avoid Leaf spot, Blight etc.
Harvesting Stage :
Tomato’s will be ready to harvest after 2-2.5 months of planting.
Depends on the preference of the customer. There are 3 stages of harvest
- Green stage
- Red stage (Over ripen stage)
- Orange stage (Half ripen stage)
Yield: A well grown and well cared plant gives 10-12 kg of tomato/ plant. (Yield depends on incidence of pest and diseases also)
Key words: Tomato, Plants, Medicine, Nutrients, Flower, Fruit, Pest, Disease etc…
Sandhya Rani .CM
Jr. Research Assistant
MY DREAM GARDEN