Why Bagging in Fruits and Vegetables???
Cultural Operations, Gardening, Gardening Tips, Uncategorized Oct 02, 2020
BAGGING: It is Practice of covering the pollinated vegetables and fruits in a protective bags to control the damages to fruit.
FRUIT BAGS: These are the protective structures/covers to cover your fruits and vegetables to avoid fruit fly and other insects, Physical and mechanical damages.
In Vegetable crops it is commonly fallowed in Bitter gourd, Ridge gourd, Cucumber, Sponge gourd, Cucumber and Bottle gourd.
In fruits commonly fallowed in Guava, Pomegranate and Sapota
When to do Bagging:
Bagging is done for completely pollinated, well developed 5-6 cm vegetable.
How to do Bagging:
- Just insert the fruit in a bag, close the bag and tie with a easily removable knot.
- When a fruit attains good maturity stage of harvesting, remove the bags and re-use it.
Advantages of fruit bagging:
- These bags are very cheap and safe.
- Improves fruit quality.
- 100% control from fruit fly and birds damage.
- Decreases the level of disease incidence.
- Eco friendly and bags are re-usable.
- Improves eating quality of veggies and fruits
- Protects from sun scorching
- Decreases fruit cracking to some extent.
- Provides aeration also to fruit has bags have small openings also
- Does not restricts fruit length, as the bag is having opening at the bottom