BASIC TIPS TO START A VEGETABLE GARDEN:
Gardening Tips Aug 06, 2020
As you all know due to urbanization we are facing lot many issues mainly health issues, especially we are not able to get fresh air to breathe and healthy nutritious food to eat .due to this scenario we are suffering from many diseases and disorders. Comparing to village people urban people are more prone to these issues so presently this is what happening with Corona virus disease too.
So now it’s time to grow our own food at our home itself the solution is URBAN FARMING
So many people with positive hope starts a vegetable garden on their own but many fails in continuing it this, it’s mainly because they don’t have basic idea about gardening and lack of technical knowledge. So my dream Garden is educating people to grow their own veggies and fruits in the available space like balcony, terrace and also on land area.
BELOW THERE ARE SOME GARDEN TIPS FOR A BEGINNER.
1. Choose a right potting media
Potting media plays a vital role in plants growth. The potting medium needs to supply plants with a means of support, good drainage, adequate air circulation, and storage of water and nutrients. When you are selecting a potting media it should be free from
- Pebbles, stones or sand content
- Roots of other veggies
- Should be well aerated and good water holding capacity
- Should contain minimum nutrients that supports plant growth
As the potting media is the basic in any garden so make sure that its good enough to grow any types of vegetables since any aftercare practices may become useless if the base media only not good.
2. Choose health seeds /saplings:
- Seeds or saplings are the starting point for a healthy and productive garden, so make sure that they are of good quality and according to type of garden eg container gardening
- Make sure that the seeds are not placed in moisture condition to avoid rotten of seeds and pest and disease attack to seeds
- Saplings should be at correct stage of transplanting since they can’t tolerate transplanting shock
- Saplings should be at 2-3 true leaf stage, and should not reached flowering stage
3. Companion planting:
Companion planting is the best way to increase the yield in our vegetable garden.
egg: growing marigold in the garden attracts lots of insects towards them so pest attack to main crop can be prevented
Since the flower bloom is more attractive, it encourages honey bees to your vegetable garden which facilitates pollination.
4. Flowers and herbal plants:
Plant so many flowers at your garden to increase pollination as they attract so many bees and butterflies and they too attract beneficial insects
- Bees love rosemary and lavender since they produce aroma
5. Nutrient management:
- Even though the potting media is provided with enough nutrients, plant requires specific micro nutrient at different growth stages of plant, if these micro nutrients are not provided then there will no sufficient yield and also it affects quality parameters of vegetable crop.
- So timely application of different natural and synthetic inputs is necessary for growing of any vegetables on terrace
KEYWORDS: seeds,sapplings,containers,potting media,nutrients,micronutrients,flower and trap crops
Write up by