Hey all, if you are beginner and planning to start a garden afresh, there are many essential gardening tools that can make your gardening easier. They are:
- A shovel a must-have for everyday gardening tasks, including breaking up clumps of soil, digging small holes, transplanting seedlings and even digging up weeds.
- Shovel with a triangular-shaped head which will give the ability to dig holes, move soil and relocate plants
- Shovel with square shaped spade would help in making cleaner cuts, but for most newbies an angled shovel is the best tool for the job.
2. SECATEURS :
- Secateurs are also called as hand pruners and are a type of plant scissors. They are strong enough to prune hard branches of trees and shrubs up to two centimeter thickness.
- Being handy and easy to operate, it is considered to be an essential tool of the gardener in plant propagation.
- Secateurs are used for removing or cutting the unwanted branches or twigs, thinning out the dried and disease infested leaves, harvesting and pruning of the fruit plants.
- Garden rakes typically have a long handle made of wood with uniform metal tines that are sturdier in nature.
- They allow you to easily create smooth, level soil while removing unwanted weeds.
- Raker helps in digging the soil media and to make shallow holes.
- Helps in digging the small furrows for planting seeds and saplings
- If the garden becomes overrun with weeds, weeder facilitates easy removal of weeds.
- These hand tools make it easier to pull out the entire weed by the root, without disturbing the main crop and
- Place a layer of mulch around the plants to help smoother emerging weeds and aids in removing deep rooted crops.
- While some people won’t touch soil without gardening gloves they’re technically not necessary, especially when it comes to lighter-duty tasks like container gardening.
- They’ll help prevent blisters and scratches, not to mention keep your hands clean.
- Gloves with reinforced fingertips and padding helps in protection, tightened gloves helps to keep the soil from getting inside.
6. WATER CAN:
- A portable container with a handle and a spout attached to a rose. A rose is a cap like structure with small holes, used to water the plants by hand.
- The capacity of the container is 5 litres. It is made of plastic. In container gardening, a water can of lightweight is used that can be carried easily when full.
- By adding sprayer attachment or the nozzle, it will control water flow and pressure.
- For best results, water in the early morning when temperatures are cooler. Avoid midday watering, which will evaporate too quickly.
Key words: Weeding, container gardening, yield, pruning, tools, transplanting, seedlings , propagation, branching, seeds, furrows
Write up by:
Kavita b m (Bsc agriculture)