Pest Managment Aug 14, 2020
One evening in a cool breeze, me and my friend with a cup of coffee in hand, moved to our garden. We suddenly saw an insect scrolling over my Cabbage plant. It was moving in a very different and funny way compared to other caterpillars.
I stopped sipping my Coffee and started observing at it, the insect started scraping of the younger leaves in cabbage.
As I was a garden lover, my mind started digging deep about that insect nature and its life cycle. The story which continues like this….
First question arises to each reader of this blog is
How does they look like??
Usually they are soft Bodied, with colours like Green, Black and Brown mixed. Usually they will be having two Phases of Life cycle, where one phase is LARVAE, which will damage to plants in your garden. Other Phase will emerge as a Beautiful BUTTERFLY.
Why the movement of these Caterpillar different compared to others?
Usually Caterpillars have 3 types of legs which helps in their walking. They are Prolegs(Front legs), Thoracic legs(Back legs) and Abdominal legs (Middle legs). In case of these Caterpillars abdominal legs are absent; hence they scroll over the leaves and plants. Because of its Locomotion(Movement) these insects are called as Semi looper.
What do they eat and what it does to plants??
- Usually they feed on plant leaves and one single adult caterpillar can feed 2 to 3 leaves per day.
- Once they complete feeding on entire leaves, they start feeding on tender branches and Flowers.
- It completely defoliates the plant, which results in reduction of Photosynthesis and Yield loss.
- One of the important character of Caterpillars is that they come out for feeding leaves or branches at evening / night times, and they hide in the soil during day time.
- Usually they love to feed on Plants like Cabbage, Cauliflower, Knol khol, Broccoli, Radish, Tomato, Cucurbits, Rose etc.
How to prevent these Semi loopers??
- Growing of trap crops like Marigold, Mustard, Sesame, Chrysanthemum etc.
- Keeping the garden clean and neat, and carrying out regular weeding, watering and cultural operations needed by the plant.
How to Manage these Semi loopers??
- If Semi loopers are found, collect manually and kill them.
- Regular soil loosening will help you to identify the hidden caterpillars.
- Spray of Catpillar IMMB 1gm diluted in 1 liter of water will helps you to control semi-looper
- Spray Quinalphos 1ml in 1 liter of water.
- Spray Accon Double Effect 3gms powder and 3ml liquid diluted in 1 liter of water.
- Installation of Pheromone traps and light traps to control the adults of Semi-looper.
Hope after reading this Blog, you people being a garden lover will get a complete details of Semi looper, where you can also share your garden experience in this comment box.
Key words: Insect, Pest, Management, Medicine, Plants, Semi-looper, Leaves, Larvae, Butter fly etc.