HOW TO MAKE COCO PEAT AT HOME AND WHERE TO USE.
Gardening Sep 09, 2020
Coco peat is natural fiber made out of coconut husks. The extraction of coconut fiber from husks gives us this byproduct called coco-peat, which is a 100% natural growing medium.
This coco peat dried in the natural sun is processed to produce different items namely coco peat block, coco peat briquettes, coco peat tablets, etc.
Loose coco peat is often referred as coco soil. Coco soil being a porous and well-drained medium helps the plant to have strong roots, thus making it an excellent growing medium.
Properties of Cocopeat:
- Cocopeat is light, easy to handle and can even be reused for up to 4 years.
- The physical and biochemical properties of coco peat make it resistant to bacterial and fungal growth.
- Cocopeat disintegrates slowly. It only begins to break down when it is ten years old, thus providing long-term benefits.
- It has pH of 5.2 to 6.8 which is neutral to slightly acidic.
- It has great oxygenation properties which are important for healthy root development.
- Cocopeat can be combined with any of the usual ingredients like soil and manure to be used as a mixture or a stand-alone product.
- Coco peat is available at affordable price for a quality product with an environmentally sustainable future.
- Coco peat is perfect soil conditioner, and it can retain moisture up to eight times of its volume. It is entirely organic.
- Cocopeat is consistent and uniform in texture, and easy to handle. Unlike soil, it does not form any mud.
How to make good coco soil at home?
- Buy a block of coco-brick.
- Take water in a large-sized bucket and immerse coco-peat compressed block in it.
- Keep the block immersed in water for 3-4 hours, so that it absorbs maximum water and loosens up.
- After 3-4 hours the entire block will absorb water, and it will swell up 2-3 times its weight.
- Just drain out the excess water, and you will get ready to use soft, fluffy and light coco soil.
Where to use coco peat?
- Cocopeat is a fantastic sowing medium. It is used to sow the seeds of vegetables and seasonal flowers in seedling trays.
- It is a perfect rooting medium. Stem cuttings are inserted in coco peat for root induction.
- It is very good for soilless gardening and hydroponic farming.
- Cocopeat is an essential ingredient of various potting media like potting mix and organic veggie mix.
- Potting mixture with added coco peat is suitable for indoor plants, cacti and succulents, dish gardens, terrariums and hanging baskets.
KEYWORDS: coco peat , properties of coco peat, uses of coco peat, coconut husks, coco soil, how to make coco soil at home, potting mix, organic veggie mix, rooting medium.
WRITE UP BY