Thyme is the aromatic; Perennial and ever green herb belongs to family Laminaceae. They have culinary, medicinal, and ornamental uses. The most commonly cultivated and used species for culinary purposes is Thymus vulgaris. Thyme retains its flavour on drying better than many other herbs.
Nutritive value of Thyme :
Health Benefits of Thyme:
- Antibacterial, insecticidal and antifungal in nature
- Thymol is extracted from thyme is used as biocide- and botanical medicine for pest control
- Acts as mosquito repellent.
- Consumption of leaves reduces blood pressure
- Used as a natural preservative for food products
- Wild thyme is used to treat cancer
- Oil extracted is used to treat skin problems
How to use Thyme:
- Used to make herbal tea.
- Used as a spice in garnishing the foods.
- Used in flavouring of meats, stews and soups.
- Used in preparing egg omelet and egg strata.