Gardening Tips Oct 01, 2020
Sacrificing not only in Humans it also Works in plants.
How? You want to know read complete blog.
Sacrificial crop also called Trap Crop. Trap cropping is one of the best Biological pest managementer. Trap cropping is the planting of a trap crop to protect the main crop from a certain pest (insects) .Plant trap crop plants in your garden at different corners of your garden, it attracts and prevents the many pests attack.
Just as many children’s will choose ice-cream over a plate of vegetables, like wise most garden pest have preference for what they like to live on. By planting a rows of trap crops (The Ice-Cream) near to your vegetables the pest will be attracts to the trap crops and will usually leave your main crops alone. You don’t harvest anything from your trap crop in it is just there to keep the pests off the plants you want to well.
- Reduce the usage of medicine which we are using for to Control pests
- Also attracts the Beneficial insects
- Improves the main crop quality.
Tips for the Successful trap cropping –
- Make a Garden plan, this will guide you on where traps crops are be sown/planted
- Learn to know and identify the pests
- Select the trap crop that is more attractive to the pest than the main crop
- Monitor your plants regularly
- Immediately control the pests that are found in the trap crop. Prune / remove the trap crops once the pest population is high, otherwise they will serve as the breeding ground and the pests will attack the rest of the garden.
Examples- Basil, Marigold, Hibiscus, etc…
Key Words – Trap Crop, Advantages, and Tips for the successful trap cropping