Our India has rich history of Ayurveda, where our ancestor use to cure lot of carcinogenic disease through various kind of plant species. Which commonly known as herbs in present days.
Ayurveda continued as the medicine of choice for the majority of peoples and even it is equivalent to patronage to unani.
There are Number of plant which embody with medicinal property in its one among those plant is “Thumbai gida/Dronapushpi”
Thumbai gida/Dronapushpi is a weed that grows on waste lands. Medicinally, it has antimicrobial, insecticidal, fever reducing, and inflammation reducing properties.
Thumbai gida/Dronapushpi is an herbal plant and it signifies purity and simplicity. Thumbai gida is an indispensable flower for making the floral carpet (Pookalam).
PROPERTIES OF THUMBAI GIDA/DRONAPUSHPI
Entire plant is used as an insecticidal and in traditional medicine. The plant has been scientifically investigated for anti-inflammatory, analgesic and used for wound healing. It is also used in Cobra venom poisoning. It is having the insecticidal property due to the presence of Nicotine.
MEDICINAL IMPORTANCE OF THUMBAI GIDA / DRONAPUSHPI
- The juice from its leaves is used as an external application for painful swellings
- The flowers are given with honey to treat with coughs and cold in children
- The leaves are applied to the bits to serpents, poisonous insects and scorpion sting
- The extract of plant is used with honey in case of abdominal pain and also in digestion
- The leaf sap is used to treat sores of the eyes and nose
- The juice of the plant is used in the treatment of fevers, coughs and cold
- The juice removes toxins from the body
- The leaves juice is applied externally for the skin diseases
- Thumbai leaves are an excellent mosquito repellent.
- Flowers are offered to lord shiva during the pooja.
Thumbe gida is a wild herb or shrub which is having medicinal value to a great extent and is available abundantly in field of India, It is easily available at a very low cost. It can be used in crude form as well as in extract form and also in the refined form as a medicine.
Key words- medicinal values of Thumbai Gida ,herbs,properties of thumbai gida
written by ,