Know More about Black Colour Ant like Insects in your Garden…
IPS Gardening, Pest Managment, Urban Farming Oct 15, 2020
HOW TO IDENTIFY:
- These are tiny black, Greenish or light yellow in color, Pear shaped insects which may be difficult to see with our eyes some times are called as APHIDS.
- These are very soft bodied in nature, use their mouth parts to suck the sap from plants.
- These insects are especially found on lower sides of the leaves.
- It also secretes black color Honey dew on plants, which makes plants branches to develop a sooty mould.
DAMAGES CAUSED TO PLANTS:
- They suck the sap from the fleshy green leaves, young flower buds and branches.
- As a result of sap sucking, leaves start to curl and turn yellow.
- Due to lack of Photosynthesis, plants get in to stunted growth.
- Aphids also acts as a Vector for many Viral diseases.
- When the temperature is warm but not hot (20 – 35°C), high Relative Humidity.
- Application of more Nitrogen Fertilisers.
- Avoid heavy watering and nitrogen application.
- Avoid mustard plants around the garden as it attracts aphids soon.
- Check the saplings before planting and avoid infested plants.
- Planting of Trap Crops like Dill, Marigold, Fennel etc.
- If bigger plants are attacked, spray water to plants with high pressure
- Remove and Dispose the infected plants.
- Spray Sasyarakshak 10 ml in 1 litre of water.
- Spray with Sap suck MAST 1ml in 1 litre of water (Spray should be done on both lower and upper side of the leaves)
- Installation of Yellow sticky traps.
Key words- Prevention, Management, Damages caused to plants, Favourable conditions, How to identify..