Gardening, Gardening Tips, Urban Farming Nov 26, 2020
Many of us know that Parijatha or night flowering jasmine as a beautiful and mysterious flower plant whose flowers bloom only at night and drop down from the branches at the first rays of sunlight.
The flowers of parijata bloom in night and this is why they are called night-flowering jasmine.
The tree is sometimes called the “tree of sorrow”, because the flowers lose their brightness during daytime and do not bear any fruits.
Parijata flowers have four to eight petals arranged above a vibrant orange tube in a pinwheel pattern.
These highly fragrant flowers open at night spreading their fragrance in the surrounding area with an intensely sweet floral aroma. These flowers blossom between August to December.
The flowers can be used as a source of yellow dye for clothing.
- The greatest enemy of this plant is standing water, which causes the roots to rot and die. Periodic deep watering, well rotted compost, and judicious pruning, is sufficient for this plant and is enough to make it bloom and make your garden beautiful and fragrant.
- Fertilising the plants once a year will be beneficial. The plant needs trimming as the shoots grow in different directions. It is better to grow the plant in the shaded area of the garden which receives a few hours of direct sunlight.
- Go and plant a Parijata tree and fill your house with intoxicating incense.
- The juice of its leaves is bitter and saline in taste and provides effective relief in the treatment of several types of inflammation and fever including malaria, intermittent fever, common cough and cold.
- The juice of its leaves when mixed with a little sugar is a good medicine for treatment of stomach ailments of children.
- In the treatment of skin diseases and constipation, the seeds of the Parijat tree are used.
- The plant is also useful for dyeing. The flowers can be used as a source of yellow dye for clothes. They are also used to make perfume owing to its rich aroma.
- The leaves are anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-pyretic, anti-oxidative and anti-fungal.
- The flowers are diuretic, anti-oxidative, anti-inflammatory and sedative.
- The flower oil is also very prominently used as a perfume.
The flower has a very strong fragrance, hence is used for making incense sticks
Night jasmine, parijatha, fragrant flower, aroma, skin ailment, dyeing ,perfume making, tree of sorrow
Write up by:
Kavita B M