How to grow orchids at home.
Containers, Cultural Operations, Indore Plants, Urban Farming Dec 18, 2020
ORCHIDS- The graceful and elegant orchids epitomizes love, luxury, strength and beauty.
Orchids are a unique family of flowers; they are the largest family of flowering plants and they are the most beautiful flowers of the entire plant kingdom, combining exotic looks with a diverse set of characteristics. These flowers are capable of growing indoors and outdoors. These delicate flowers are easier to grow than people think. To grow an orchid, you have to think like an orchid.
OPTIMAL GROWING CONDITIONS FOR ORCHIDS.
- These plants thrive in strong light, but not direct late-afternoon sunlight.
- They also need high humidity and airflow around the roots.
- They need regular periods of drying alternated with heaving watering.
- Orchids do best in temperatures above 50 degrees but below 85 degrees.
- Potting your orchids.
- Nurturing your orchids.
POTTING YOUR ORCHIDS.
- Select a species of orchid: Some orchids are easier to grow than others. Cattleya, Phalaenopsis and Paphiopedilum orchids are amongst the easiest to grow and are recommended for most beginner gardeners and orchid growers.
- Choose the right kind of soil for your orchids: Orchid roots need far more air than potting soil would give them, but they need something to anchor their roots, and so they benefit from a looser, more porous mix. Many people use bark chips, sphagnum moss, coconut husks, charcoal, perlite, and even Styrofoam pellets as potting mix, often in combination.
- Pot your orchid: Remove the orchid fro its original pot, making sure to cut off any dead or rotting roots. Divide the root matter into several different sections, if needed, before placing the plant in its pot.
NUTURING YOUR ORCHIDS.
- Create the right temperature for orchids i,e between 19 to 24 degrees Celsius.
- Make sure your orchids get enough amount of sunlight.
- Water your orchids once per week.
- Use an orchid specific fertilizers.
- Keep the humidity level up.
- Understand each orchid is different where each strand of orchid has different caring needs and rules.
key words; Orchids introduction, optimal growing conditions, Methods followed for growing.
Written by : Chandana S
My Dream Garden.