Everything you Need to Know about Terrace Gardening
Gardening, Gardening Tips Mar 29, 2022
Finding a place in the hustle of concrete jungle-like cities to grow a garden can be challenging. However, you see only buildings, roads, markets around you. Does that mean all people in the city cannot build a garden for their own? Well! Just think of your rooftop garden, having types of plants, fountain ponds, statues, pergola just a few steps away from you. You can efficiently transform your rooftop into a terrace garden in a few hours.
Terrace gardening is a popular trend with designers and architects looking to add greenery to their outdoor spaces. The last few years have seen an increase in the demand for terrace gardens. The idea behind terrace gardening is not only just functional but also aesthetically pleasing. This trend has been more popular in Europe than North America, but the demand for terrace gardens is growing in India too.
In this guide, we share everything about the terrace garden and how to build it from scratch.
- Measurement of space: The key to creating a garden is to make it enjoyable for you and your family. The crucial factor to consider before setting up the garden is space. The measurements should be at a specific point or along a straight line, not from corner to corner of the whole area. Moreover, these measurements need to be converted into square feet so that you would have an accurate idea about how much space is available for designing and planting new plants in different areas of the garden.
- Design of the garden: Leading up to planning your terrace garden, you will want to identify what kind of design you’re going for. Are you looking for greenery or a more colorful space? Do you want an area that’s accessible for residents or solely for yourself? Perhaps both! The design will help you to project your plan and a checklist will help you figure out the type of plants, space utilization, and requirements.
- Execution of garden: Firstly, have all the required types of equipment. Make divisions as per the design for plantations and place the lawn before placing the plant pots. You can choose an artificial lawn with drain cells or a natural lawn with drain cells with a top layer. To ensure your terrace garden looks attractive and stylish, select plants that suit your home. It is best to choose plants that are native to the surrounding area as they are more likely to thrive.
- Sunlight / Shade – It is crucial to analyse different things you can do with the information collected from the sunlight your terrace receives. The duration of the sunlight affects how quickly plants grow, which helps you know what areas to plant them in. Having a variety of plants will result in a diverse landscape.
- Elements for elegance look: These elements will add an aesthetic look to your terrace garden. These elements will help you set up the terrace garden for an elegant look.
- Water bodies – fountain or pond with pebbles
- Creeper plants
- Outdoor seating
Once you add these elements, the terrace garden provides a warm and inviting space to spend time outside. It also helps to focus on physical health while doing something like exercises.
Now then, we completed setting up the terrace garden. Let us talk about its benefits for you.
Benefits of Terrace Garden
- Helps your Home be Cool – Building a terrace garden helps in keeping your home cool. It is a blessing for people living in humid areas. The plants you grow on your terrace will create a micro-environment and will lower the temperature of the place. You can spend less money on ACs and save more.
- Reduces Your Carbon Pollution – By developing and building a garden with the plants you can help the world and reduce your greenhouse gas footprint. The plants will help improve the quality of the surrounding air.
- Stay Connected with Nature: In the world of laptops and smartphones, our lives have become monotonous, and we forget we have a life. But having a terrace garden around you, you can always stay connected to it anytime, and your kids can also have a great time spending with nature and learning how to grow plants.
- Gardening Helps You Stay Fit – Gardening is a healthy activity that can help you stay fit. The practice of gardening will help you get rid of stress and helps in reducing the risk of obesity. It also improves your overall mood as it relaxes your mind. Gardening has many benefits for people. It helps to boost self-esteem and mental health, whereas it also reduces the risk of asthma, diabetes, heart disease, and depression.
The Advantages of Having a Terrace Garden
- Expands greenery
- It makes your space more beautiful
- Creates aesthetic beauty
- It makes your workspace more comfortable
- Low maintenance
- Creates privacy
- Utilization of Empty spaces
- Creates calmness to spend private time with a touch of greenery
- Improves your surrounding air quality
- Best place to spend quality time with your family and loved ones
As you can see, having a terrace garden makes sense in the long term and provides some significant benefits to those who live there or visit. The conclusion of having a terrace garden is that it is good for residents because they can get fresh air, exercise, and enjoy the outdoors without going outside. Plus, it’s good for the city because it adds more greenery to make it feel less like a giant concrete jungle. So, what are you waiting for? Turn your terrace into the garden on your own or choose the experts who do terrace garden for you.